Useful information and links

Wednesday, December 17, 2014

Favorite books of 2014

I love to read, and read a lot (I'm also a speed reader by nature so my quantity of books read in a year is high!) Due to being on a medical leave for the last, almost three months, I've read even more than normal. So I decided to make a list of some of my favorite books I've read this year.


An Unquenchable Thirst was interesting and a very different read from a former sister of Mother Theresa's ministry. From the original trial period within the group, to her over 20 year service. An inside look into the Missionaries of Charity, how they become sisters, their daily life, how charity worked for the group.


And the Mountains Echoed. I love Khaled Hosseini and his other books, The Kite Runner, and A Thousand Splendid Sins, are equally as good as this novel. I would say this book isn't the tear jerker the other two are however, but it does focus on more characters at a time whereas the others focused primarily on just a couple of characters. A beautiful book .


Neil Gaiman has the craziest writing and Good Omens is definitely crazy! It is a comedy that was written alongside Terry Pratchett, and follows the lives of a witch, a fallen angel (demon), an angel, and the birth of the son of Satan.


I've read quite a few social impact books this year and I Am Malala was the last one I read. Most people know who Malala is, and this book is written from her perspective about her childhood, the events surrounding her shooting, and life after.


Mindy Kaling. Hilarious. Relatable. You want her to be your best friend.


Lean In, by the COO of Facebook, Sheryl Sandberg brings forth in this book reasons why women hold themselves back in their careers, why they shouldn't, and ways she messed up, and moved forward.


Mighty Be our Powers is another socially conscious book that totally had me riveted. I think I read it straight through and didn't sleep if I remember right. Leymah Gbowee tells about life before war hit her area and during, the hardships faced by her family and herself, ways she overcame them, and life now as she works towards saving her homeland and women's rights in her country.


A book written by a women raised Catholic, felt like religion was empty and wasn't sure she even wanted it anymore, then found her home of faith.


By the founder of TOMS, Blake Mycoskie gives a bit about his background, how he founded the company, why, and how, if we want to start something that matters to us and the world, some tips and tricks to do so.


A book about mythological creatures in a modern day setting. LOVED IT!


I don't normally read books that are categorized as women's literature unless it's a classic, but dang it Liane Moriarty writes some intriguing, mystery books!


Teenagers acting all crazy. A rich family and some insane secrets. Good book for adults or teens.


Another book by Liane Moriarty. I've read a few of her books and What Alice Forgot is my favorite. A woman has an accident in spin class and her world is turned upside down because she can't remember how she got there.


Amy Poehler, like Mindy Kaling, it's relatable, and you want to go out for drinks with her. She discusses her childhood, how her career started, her love affair with Tina Fey, career and her marriage, divorce, and kids.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments as I get this started!