Useful information and links

Thursday, December 4, 2014

Personal/Professional Development


This is something that has been weighing heavily on my mind for quite some time. I don't feel like I have a direction available to me, and I'm not sure why so I'm working on it. I'm also having to take a sabbatical from work due to some health issues, so there will be some new activities to try.

First off, I am doing a Mindset reset, 10 week challenge that I heard from Danny Johnson who runs the blog/empire The Sweaty Betties. It's called the JillFit Mindset, and is a 10 week daily email challenge. I'm only at the end of week 1 and am intrigued so far but haven't gotten far enough to really judge it. (I actually started this months ago, but due to medical issues, have had to hold off but I am starting it over today!)

I also bought a Groupon for a local yoga studio. It has great reviews, and seems like it might be fun. Plus, it's less than 10 minutes from my house, and has manageable times.

Rosetta Stone. I've had this for a long time, and while I can understand conversational Spanish, and read it enough for basic comprehension, it's always bothered me that I'm not more fluent with it. I think I'll be working on this over the next few weeks as well.

Budget! This is something I definitely need to work on. There are just so many cute workout clothes & so many good books...

The books (I'm not sure I know how to write a post anymore without books being involved somewhere...)

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by the COO of Facebook and was a former executive at Google. I borrowed this book from my local library as an e-book and really enjoyed it, much more than I thought I would. 
That we haven’t failed the mothers and grandmothers who made our ambitions possible. And yet, in a deep and profound way, we are failing. Because feminism wasn’t supposed to make us feel guilty, or prod us into constant competitions over who is raising children better, organizing more cooperative marriages, or getting less sleep. It was supposed to make us free—to give us not only choices but the ability to make these choices without constantly feeling that we’d somehow gotten it wrong.


Start Something That Matters Book by the guy who started TOMS is definitely inspiring but also full of useful information, and he freely admits he originally started it as a way to make money and it kind of took off on it's own.
“servant leadership.” Coined by writer and business consultant Robert K. Greenleaf in his 1970 essay “The Servant as Leader,” the term refers to someone who uses qualities like empathy, listening skills, stewardship, and awareness rather than power to assert his or her authority to lead.
I'm also learning Illustrator. I enjoy working with art, and the computer and this seems like a logical step. As a blogger and someone becoming more involved with social media, I think this is important.


 I think it's important to try new things and get out of my comfort zone; which is something i haven't done in a while but definitely need.

Advice on new things to try? Or your favorite activity?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments as I get this started!